Keeping Kids Safe
Many Kuna Firefighters are Car Seat Technicians certified through the National Child Passenger Safety Certification program and Safe Kids Worldwide. Our Car Seat Technicians assist families with new car seat installation, car seat checks, and educating families about safely transporting their children. Car seat installations and safety checks are ALWAYS free. To schedule a visit, please contact us.
Car Seat safety tips
- Buying the right car seat. Your baby needs to ride in a rear-facing car seat as long as possible, at least until age 2. When your child has outgrown that seat, he or she is ready for a forward-facing car seat.
- Installing your car seat. You’ll need to decide on using either the seat belt or lower anchors (LATCH system) to secure your car seat. Both are safe, but don’t use them both at the same time.
- Getting the right fit. A properly-fitted harness gives the best possible protection for your child.
- When to change your car seat. Look on the car seat label to make sure your child is still within the weight, height and age limits for that seat.
Car safety facts
- Road injuries are the leading cause of preventable deaths and injuries to children in the United States.
- Correctly used child safety seats can reduce the risk of death by as much as 71 percent.
- Three out of four car seats are not used or installed correctly.